Book/Printed Material Javanese Manuscript of the Adventures of Hamza.
About this Item
- Javanese Manuscript of the Adventures of Hamza.
- The adventures of the early Islamic hero Hamza, the uncle of the Prophet Muhammad, are a favorite subject of Javanese literature in which the deeds of the hero, here called Ménak, are retold. The Javanese legends are written in poetic form and relate the stories as occurring during the lifetime of the Prophet. This manuscript, written in the Javanese and Pégon (Arabic--Javanese) alphabets, contains a number of the main episodes in the tales of Hamza. The codex offers a prime example of the art of book illumination that flourished during this period in Yogyakarta, a city and sultanate on the Indonesian island of Java and a traditional center of Javanese culture. Particularly remarkable are the various highly symbolic wadana, ornamentally decorated pages at the beginning or the end of separate text passages. These are often illustrated with architectural motifs representing temples. Unfortunately, several pages of the manuscript have been obliterated by ink corrosion. The manuscript is at the Bavarian State Library in Munich, Germany.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1800.
- - Indonesia--Yogyakarta
- - 550 to 632
- - Codex
- - Ḥamzah ibn ʻAbd al-Muṭṭalib, died 625
- - Illuminations
- - Islamic manuscripts
- - Javanese literature
- - Javanese poetry
- - Legends
- - Poetry
- - Romance of Amīr Ḥamza
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Cod.jav. 2592"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 376 sheets, paper : 31.5 x 20 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Arabic and Javanese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Javanese Manuscript of the Adventures of Hamza. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1800] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667763/.
APA citation style:
(1800) Javanese Manuscript of the Adventures of Hamza. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667763/.
MLA citation style:
Javanese Manuscript of the Adventures of Hamza. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1800] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667763/>.