Book/Printed Material Petrus Krüger's Missal. Missale festivum
About this Item
- Petrus Krüger's Missal.
- Missale festivum
- This early 15th-century missal was written and illuminated by Petrus Krüger from Breslau for the abbot of Saint Emmeram, Ratisbon (present-day Regensburg). One of the original illuminations (folio 32v), however, has been largely replaced by a miniature that for stylistic reasons has been ascribed to the Ratisbon painter Berthold Furtmeyr (active 1460--1501). This miniature equals, in style and artistic quality, the picture pages in the Salzburg feast missal, Furtmeyr's mature masterpiece. Apart from the Furtmeyr crucifixion group, the manuscript contains two other remarkable miniatures. The first portrays Abbot Petrus Pettendorfer, identifiable by his coat of arms, kneeling in front of the patron saints of the church: Emmeram, Dionysius, and Wolfgang (folio 10v). The second miniature by Krüger displays the expectant Virgin. In addition to the miniatures, 53 initials referring to the ensuing texts for the mass and five initials with leaves and tendrils decorate the manuscript. The miniatures and the initials are painted in gouache opaque watercolors: blue, red, orange, green, rose, yellow, brown, and gold. The iconography reflects elements from the Ratisbon or the Bohemian traditions, the technique and the bright contrasting colors derive from Silesian influences.
- Furtmeyr, Berthold, flourished 1460-1501 Illuminator.
- Krüger, Petrus Illuminator.
Created / Published
- Regensburg, Germany : St. Emmeram's Abbey, [1406 to 1490]
- - Germany--Bavaria--Regensburg
- - 1406 to 1490
- - Illuminations
- - Liturgies
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Missals
- - Prayers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB Shelfmark: Clm 14045"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: i + 218 + i sheets, parchment : illustrations ; 35 x 25.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Furtmeyr, Berthold, Flourished Illuminator, and Petrus Illuminator Krüger. Petrus Krüger's Missal. [Regensburg, Germany: St. Emmeram's Abbey, to 1490, 1406] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667775/.
APA citation style:
Furtmeyr, B. & Krüger, P. I. (1406) Petrus Krüger's Missal. [Regensburg, Germany: St. Emmeram's Abbey, to 1490] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667775/.
MLA citation style:
Furtmeyr, Berthold, Flourished Illuminator, and Petrus Illuminator Krüger. Petrus Krüger's Missal. [Regensburg, Germany: St. Emmeram's Abbey, to 1490, 1406] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667775/>.