Book/Printed Material Ortenburg Armorial. Ortenburger Wappenbuch
About this Item
- Ortenburg Armorial.
- Ortenburger Wappenbuch
- This armorial was probably written and illuminated by different hands in Bavaria between 1466 and 1473. It contains heraldic devices of the Quaternions (Groups of Four, each representing different social groups of the Holy Roman Empire). It also illustrates the crests of (mostly) Bavarian princes, noblemen, territories, bishoprics, and prince-bishops. Despite its somewhat crude execution, it is a valuable resource for the heraldry of Southern Germany towards the end of the 15th century. By 1534 the manuscript had come into the possession of the counts of Ortenburg, near Passau; there, heraldic devices of the Ortenburg family and their ancestors were added. It remained with the family until 1953, when it was sold to the Bavarian State Library, where it is preserved.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1466 to 1473]
- - Germany--Bavaria
- - 1466 to 1473
- - Devices (Heraldry)
- - Holy Roman Empire
- - Illuminations
- - Kings and rulers
- - Nobility
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB Shelfmark: Cod.icon. 308 u"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 240 sheets, paper : illustrations ; 16 x 11.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in German.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ortenburg Armorial. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1473, 1466] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667778/.
APA citation style:
(1466) Ortenburg Armorial. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1473] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667778/.
MLA citation style:
Ortenburg Armorial. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1473, 1466] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667778/>.