Book/Printed Material Psalter from Polling. Psalterium cum Calendario
About this Item
- Psalter from Polling.
- Psalterium cum Calendario
- Originating in southwestern Germany after 1235, this marvelous psalter was long preserved in the monastery of Polling, Upper Bavaria, before it entered the collections of the Bavarian State Library. It is especially remarkable for the extensive cycle of biblical scenes that precedes the text of the psalter. Four representations taken from the life of Adam and Eve are followed by scenes from the New Testament, beginning with the Annunciation and with a Majestas domini (Glory of the Lord), surrounded by evangelist symbols at the end. The view of Christ descending to hell in the upper pictorial area and that of the king of hell in chains in the lower picture field are particularly impressive. The paragraphs within the text of the psalter are marked by lavish initials in bright gouache opaque water colors on a golden ground surrounded by a frame. The initial at the beginning of the text of the psalter, the tendrils of which are peopled by human figures, stands out for its complexity and lively details.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1236.
- - Germany--Bavaria
- - 3000 B.C. to 1236
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Bible. Old Testament
- - Illuminations
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Psalms
- - Psalters
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB Shelfmark: Clm 11308"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 175 sheets, parchment : illustrations ; 31 x 21.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Psalter from Polling. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1236] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667783/.
APA citation style:
(1236) Psalter from Polling. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667783/.
MLA citation style:
Psalter from Polling. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1236] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667783/>.