Book/Printed Material Illustrated Book of Thai Poetry.
About this Item
- Illustrated Book of Thai Poetry.
- The poems collected in this remarkable Thai manuscript from the second half of the 19th century are by an unknown poet. They all share the same theme: the loss of a beloved woman. Drawing upon all the possible degrees of refinement that the Thai language, poetry, and art can master, each poem is a work of art in itself, praising the beauty of the beloved woman and mourning her passing. Preceding the poems are 13 illustrations connected to the overall theme. They show mythological creatures and motifs from Thai legends and stories, such as Kinnarī (mythical half-birds) or the figure Phra Ram, the hero of the Thai Ramayana. The manuscript is at the Bavarian State Library in Munich, Germany.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1850 to 1899]
- - Thailand
- - 1850 to 1899
- - Illuminations
- - Legends
- - Love
- - Mythology
- - Poetry
- - Thai poetry
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB Shelfmark: Cod.siam. 98"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 58 sheets, paper : illustrations ; 11.5 x 36 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Thai.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Illustrated Book of Thai Poetry. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899, 1850] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667788/.
APA citation style:
(1850) Illustrated Book of Thai Poetry. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667788/.
MLA citation style:
Illustrated Book of Thai Poetry. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899, 1850] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667788/>.