Book/Printed Material The Sibyls and Prophets Foretelling Christ the Savior. Sibyllae et prophetae de Christo Salvatore vaticinantes
About this Item
- The Sibyls and Prophets Foretelling Christ the Savior.
- Sibyllae et prophetae de Christo Salvatore vaticinantes
- This manuscript, entitled Sibyllae et prophetae de Christo Salvatore vaticinantes (The sibyls and prophets foretelling Christ the Savior), is possibly a product of the workshop of the French illuminator Jean Poyer (circa 1445--1504) of Tours. The sibyls were female seers from the ancient world whose prophecies it was thought foretold the coming of Christ. This work consists of 25 large illuminations: a depiction of Noah's ark and 12 double-page spreads. The left side of each of the double pages depicts one of the sibyls, who is paired on the right side with a scene from the life of Christ and the history of salvation that she was said to have prophesied. The scenes on the right are accompanied by an Old Testament prophet and an evangelist. The manuscript probably was acquired by Elector Maximilian I of Bavaria (1573--1651), more as a work of art than a book. It therefore was kept in the elector's art collection. Only in 1785 was it incorporated into the library.
Created / Published
- Tours, France : [publisher not identified], [1490 to 1500]
- - France
- - 1490 to 1500
- - Illuminations
- - Jesus Christ
- - Prophets
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB Shelfmark Cod.icon. 414"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 23 sheets, parchment : color illustrations ; 25 x 17.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Sibyls and Prophets Foretelling Christ the Savior. [Tours, France: publisher not identified, to 1500, 1490] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667791/.
APA citation style:
(1490) The Sibyls and Prophets Foretelling Christ the Savior. [Tours, France: publisher not identified, to 1500] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667791/.
MLA citation style:
The Sibyls and Prophets Foretelling Christ the Savior. [Tours, France: publisher not identified, to 1500, 1490] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667791/>.