Book/Printed Material Combat Manual of 1467. Fechtbuch von 1467
About this Item
- Combat Manual of 1467.
- Fechtbuch von 1467
- This 1467 manuscript Fechtbuch (Combat manual) provides instructions for various methods of fighting, without armor and wearing different kinds of armor, and on foot and on horseback. A series of annotated illustrations is devoted to combat with swords, daggers, pikes, and other weapons. Even the rules for a trial by combat between a man and a woman are included. The author, Hans Talhoffer (circa 1420--circa 1490), was regarded in his time as an unbeatable swordsman and one of the finest teachers of the so-called German school of fencing. Because of his reputation, many noblemen sought his services as an advisor and teacher. Among them was the first duke of Württemberg, Eberhard the Bearded (1445--96), who commissioned this manuscript. The manuscript itself has a curious history: originally forming part of the library of the dukes of Bavaria, it was stolen during the Thirty Years' War and ended up in Gotha. Only in 1951 was it again sold to the Bavarian State Library, where it is now preserved.
- Talhoffer, Hans, circa 1420-circa 1490 Author.
Created / Published
- Swabia, Germany : [publisher not identified], 1467.
- - Germany
- - 1467
- - Armor
- - Fencing
- - Knights and knighthood
- - Weapons
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB Shelfmark Cod.icon. 394 a"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 137 sheets, parchment : illustrations ; 30 x 21.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in German.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Talhoffer, Hans, Circa Circa 1490 Author. Combat Manual of. [Swabia, Germany: publisher not identified, 1467] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667792/.
APA citation style:
Talhoffer, H. (1467) Combat Manual of. [Swabia, Germany: publisher not identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667792/.
MLA citation style:
Talhoffer, Hans, Circa Circa 1490 Author. Combat Manual of. [Swabia, Germany: publisher not identified, 1467] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667792/>.