Book/Printed Material Book of Armaments of Emperor Maximilian I. Zeugbuch Kaiser Maximilians I
About this Item
- Book of Armaments of Emperor Maximilian I.
- Zeugbuch Kaiser Maximilians I
- This manuscript forms part of the many endeavors undertaken by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I (1459--1519) to further his legacy. Compiled by Bartholomaeus Freysleben, the Hauszeugmeister (imperial master of armaments), it describes the several imperial armories of the emperor, detailing the additions of modern artillery and weaponry that were made during Maximilian's reign. Underlining its purpose as a presentational work rather than a simple inventory, the manuscript was lavishly illuminated, with the involvement of the imperial court painter Jörg Kölderer (circa 1465--1540). The history of the manuscript is not known. It is possibly a copy of the original, which at some point in the 16th century came into the possession of the Free Imperial City of Ratisbon (present-day Regensburg). Although incomplete, it was bound and incorporated into the city library. In 1812 it was transferred from Regensburg to the Bavarian State Library.
- Freysleben, Bartholomaeus, flourished 1490-1511 Compiler.
Created / Published
- Innsbruck, Austria : [publisher not identified], 1502.
- - 1502
- - Illuminations
- - Weapons
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB Shelfmark Cod.icon. 222"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 278 sheets, parchment and paper : illustrations ; 42 x 28.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in German.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Freysleben, Bartholomaeus, Flourished Compiler. Book of Armaments of Emperor Maximilian I. [Innsbruck, Austria: publisher not identified, 1502] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667793/.
APA citation style:
Freysleben, B. (1502) Book of Armaments of Emperor Maximilian I. [Innsbruck, Austria: publisher not identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667793/.
MLA citation style:
Freysleben, Bartholomaeus, Flourished Compiler. Book of Armaments of Emperor Maximilian I. [Innsbruck, Austria: publisher not identified, 1502] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667793/>.