Book/Printed Material Codicil of Queen Isabel the Catholic, Executed at Medina del Campo, on November 23, 1504. Codicilo de la Reina Isabel la Católica, otorgado en Medina del Campo, el 23 de noviembre de 1504
About this Item
- Codicil of Queen Isabel the Catholic, Executed at Medina del Campo, on November 23, 1504.
- Codicilo de la Reina Isabel la Católica, otorgado en Medina del Campo, el 23 de noviembre de 1504
- On November 23, 1504, three days before her death, Queen Isabella of Spain signed, in Medina del Campo, a codicil before the same notary, Gaspar de Gricio, and five of the seven witnesses who had been present on October 12 for the signing of her last will and testament. In the testament, the queen addressed the fundamental aspects of government by the Catholic monarchs. In the codicil, besides reaffirming what she had stipulated in the testament, she addressed questions directly affecting peninsular government and showed her concern for Spanish policy in America by setting the bases for the Laws of the Indies (the body of law issued by the crown governing Spanish possessions in America and the Philippines). In the last clause of the testament, the queen expressed the wish that the original of the codicil be sent to the Monastery of Our Lady of Guadalupe, at Extramadura in central Spain, which did not occur. It is known that at some time in 1543--45 the testament was taken to the castle of Simancas, which soon after became the Spanish royal archive. The codicil, which strangely had broken away from the testament, was added to the collections at the Royal Library, becoming part of a collected volume from which it was separated in 1881. The codicil begins with a brief salutation to God and ratifies what was expressed in the testament. The body of the codicil follows with 16 clauses and the queen's signature with the remains of the royal seal plate. The document ends with the notary's statement and the signatures and seals of the five witnesses. Written in a courtly classical style on three sheets of parchment with an additional sheet that serves as a cover, the codicil probably was similar in appearance to the testament.
- Isabella I, Queen of Spain, 1451-1504 Author.
Created / Published
- Medina del Campo : [publisher not identified], 1504-11-23.
- - Spain
- - United States of America
- - Philippines
- - 1504-11-23
- - Kings and rulers
- - Wills
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Includes autograph signature"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 4 sheets ; parchment : 32 x 22 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Spain.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Isabella I, Queen Of Spain, Author. Codicil of Queen Isabel the Catholic, Executed at Medina del Campo, on. [Medina del Campo: publisher not identified, -11-23, 1504] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667860/.
APA citation style:
Isabella I, Q. O. S. (1504) Codicil of Queen Isabel the Catholic, Executed at Medina del Campo, on. [Medina del Campo: publisher not identified, -11-23] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667860/.
MLA citation style:
Isabella I, Queen Of Spain, Author. Codicil of Queen Isabel the Catholic, Executed at Medina del Campo, on. [Medina del Campo: publisher not identified, -11-23, 1504] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667860/>.