Book/Printed Material Untitled Notebook of Coptic-language Lessons.
About this Item
- Untitled Notebook of Coptic-language Lessons.
- This manuscript contains a Coptic grammar and vocabulary notes compiled by Father Girgis Murqus of Akhmīm, Upper Egypt. It includes lists of common phrases in Coptic with Arabic translation. It probably was used by the author as a teaching guide for beginning Coptic classes. It is similar to the primers of Iryan Moftah (1826--86), a prominent teacher of Coptic and linguistic reformer, but it also includes verb exercises. The notebook is missing several pages and the binding is in poor condition. Arabic words are occasionally misspelled. The exact date of the manuscript is unknown, but it probably was created in the 1870s. The grammar takes up more than half the notebook. At the end are several pages of English phrases with Arabic translation, personal financial accounts, and a three-page madihah (panegyric) on the life of Saint John the Evangelist. The manuscript is important because it demonstrates how the language reforms advocated by Iryan Moftah were adopted by other teachers of Coptic. The work is part of the Iryan Moftah Collection of Coptic Books and Manuscripts at the American University in Cairo.
- Murqus, Girgis Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1800 to 1899]
- - Egypt
- - 1800 to 1899
- - Arabic language
- - Conversation and phrase books
- - Coptic Church
- - Coptic language
- - Grammar
- - John, the Apostle, Saint
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 188 pages ; 24 x 17 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: The American University in Cairo Rare Books and Special Collections Library.
- - Content in Arabic and Coptic and English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Iryan Moftah Collection of Coptic Books and Manuscripts
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Murqus, Girgis Author. Untitled Notebook of Coptic-language Lessons. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899, 1800] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667880/.
APA citation style:
Murqus, G. A. (1800) Untitled Notebook of Coptic-language Lessons. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667880/.
MLA citation style:
Murqus, Girgis Author. Untitled Notebook of Coptic-language Lessons. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1899, 1800] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667880/>.