Book/Printed Material French Mandate for Togoland. Mandat français sur le Togo/ French Mandate for Togoland
About this Item
- French Mandate for Togoland.
- Mandat français sur le Togo/ French Mandate for Togoland
- As a consequence of World War I, Germany was stripped of its colonies and the Ottoman Empire was partitioned and forced to surrender control of territories in the Middle East. The Covenant of the League of Nations established a system under which the League conferred upon certain states a mandate to rule those former colonies which, in the language of the Covenant, were "inhabited by peoples not yet able to stand by themselves under the strenuous conditions of the modern world." Britain and the British Empire, France, Belgium, and Japan were granted mandates to administer various territories in Africa, the Middle East, and the Pacific. The former German protectorate of Togoland (present-day Togo and part of Ghana) was divided between Britain and France. Shown here is the League of Nations mandate to France for Togoland. The text, in 12 articles, establishes the geographic scope of the mandated territory and specifies the responsibilities of the mandatory power, which included such laudable goals as suppression of the slave trade, guaranteeing freedom of conscience and religion, and respect for local customs and laws. Appended to the mandate is an agreement between the British and French governments defining the border between the two parts of Togoland. The text is in French and English. The document is in the archives of the League, which were transferred to the United Nations in 1946 and are housed at the UN office in Geneva. The archives were inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World register in 2010.
- France Contributor.
- League of Nations. Council Author.
Created / Published
- Geneva : League of Nations, 1922-08-01.
- - Ghana
- - Togo
- - France
- - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- - 1922-08-01
- - League of Nations
- - Mandates
- - Memory of the World
- - Politics and government
- - Territorial questions
- - Togoland
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 8 pages ; 33 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: United Nations Office at Geneva Library.
- - Content in English and French.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- League of Nations Archives
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
France Contributor, and League Of Nations. Council Author. French Mandate for Togoland. Geneva: League of Nations, -08-01, 1922. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667887/.
APA citation style:
France Contributor & League Of Nations. Council Author. (1922) French Mandate for Togoland. Geneva: League of Nations, -08-01. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667887/.
MLA citation style:
France Contributor, and League Of Nations. Council Author. French Mandate for Togoland. Geneva: League of Nations, -08-01, 1922. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667887/>.