Book/Printed Material Treaty of Relation Between Cuba and the United States, Certified Copy Deposited at the League of Nations.
About this Item
- Treaty of Relation Between Cuba and the United States, Certified Copy Deposited at the League of Nations.
- Article 18 of the Covenant of the League of Nations stipulated that "every treaty or international engagement entered into hereafter by any Member of the League shall be forthwith registered with the Secretariat and shall as soon as possible be published by it. No such treaty or international engagement shall be binding until so registered." President Woodrow Wilson of the United States believed that secret agreements between states had been a major cause of World War I and therefore insisted, at the Paris Peace Conference of 1919--20, that the Covenant include a requirement that all international agreements be registered with the League and made public. Presented here is an elaborately bound copy of a bilateral treaty between the United States and Cuba signed in Washington on May 29, 1934, and deposited with the League by the government of Cuba in July 1934. The text of the treaty is in Spanish and English. The concluding three paragraphs of the document, in Spanish only, affirm that the treaty had been duly ratified under the constitution of the Republic of Cuba and was being deposited in accordance with Article 18 of the Covenant. The treaty abrogated the May 22, 1903, Treaty of Relations between the two countries, but reaffirmed the agreement signed on February 16 of that year under which the United States leased, for an indefinite period, 45 square miles (116.5 square kilometers) of land and water at Guantanamo Bay for use as a coaling station. The archives of the League were transferred to the United Nations in 1946 and are housed at the UN office in Geneva. They were inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World register in 2010.
- Cuba Contributor.
- United States Contributor.
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : [publisher not identified], 1934-05-29.
- - Cuba
- - United States of America
- - 1934-05-29
- - League of Nations
- - Memory of the World
- - Politics and government
- - Treaties
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: United Nations Office at Geneva Library.
- - Content in English and Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- League of Nations Archives
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cuba Contributor, and United States Contributor. Treaty of Relation Between Cuba and the United States, Certified Copy Deposited at the League of Nations. [Washington, D.C.: publisher not identified, -05-29, 1934] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667895/.
APA citation style:
Cuba Contributor & United States Contributor. (1934) Treaty of Relation Between Cuba and the United States, Certified Copy Deposited at the League of Nations. [Washington, D.C.: publisher not identified, -05-29] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667895/.
MLA citation style:
Cuba Contributor, and United States Contributor. Treaty of Relation Between Cuba and the United States, Certified Copy Deposited at the League of Nations. [Washington, D.C.: publisher not identified, -05-29, 1934] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667895/>.