Book/Printed Material Withdrawal of Germany from the League of Nations. Letter from Konstantin von Neurath.
About this Item
- Withdrawal of Germany from the League of Nations. Letter from Konstantin von Neurath.
- In October 1933, some nine months after Adolf Hitler was appointed chancellor of Germany, the German government announced its withdrawal from the League of Nations. The ostensible reason was the refusal of the Western powers to acquiesce in Germany's demands for military parity. With this curt letter, dated October 19, 1933, Foreign Minister Konstantin Freiherr von Neurath informed the League of Nations secretary-general, Joseph Avenol, of Germany's withdrawal. Germany's departure from the international organization was followed by its massive military buildup, undertaken in violation of international agreements; renunciation of the Locarno Pact (1936); seizure of Austria (1938); and annexation of the Czechoslovak provinces of Bohemia and Moravia (March 1939). These actions culminated in the German attack on Poland of September 1, 1939, and the outbreak of World War II. The letter is from the archives of the League of Nations, which are preserved at the United Nations Office in Geneva. They were inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World register in 2010.
- Neurath, Konstantin, Freiherr von, 1873-1956 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1933-10-19.
- - Germany
- - 1933-10-19
- - Correspondence
- - League of Nations
- - Letters
- - Memory of the World
- - Politics and government
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 page : typed.
- - Original resource at: United Nations Office at Geneva Library.
- - Content in German.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- League of Nations Archives
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Neurath, Konstantin, Freiherr Von, Author. Withdrawal of Germany from the League of Nations. Letter from Konstantin von Neurath. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -10-19, 1933] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667903/.
APA citation style:
Neurath, K. (1933) Withdrawal of Germany from the League of Nations. Letter from Konstantin von Neurath. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -10-19] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667903/.
MLA citation style:
Neurath, Konstantin, Freiherr Von, Author. Withdrawal of Germany from the League of Nations. Letter from Konstantin von Neurath. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -10-19, 1933] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667903/>.