Book/Printed Material Psalms of David. Third Volume of the Bible. Psalterium David Bibliorum Tomus III
About this Item
- Psalms of David. Third Volume of the Bible.
- Psalterium David Bibliorum Tomus III
- This codex is the third volume of a three-volume Bible commissioned in Italy by King Matthias Corvinus of Hungary (1443--90) for his library. The manuscripts were copied by Antonio Sinibaldi or his pupil Alessandro Verazzano, probably in 1489-90. All three volumes were left unfinished, at least as far as the illuminations are concerned. At Matthias Corvinus's death, Lorenzo de' Medici, known as Lorenzo il Magnifico, incorporated the books into the Medici collection. This volume, which is known as Corvinian Psalter, contains the complete New Testament, preceded by the Psalms of David and two prologues to the Proverbs of Solomon, in the Latin translation of Saint Jerome (the Vulgate). It was illuminated by Gherardo and Monte di Giovanni, probably in 1488. The Bible is part of the Plutei Collection, which consists of the approximately 3,000 manuscripts and books from the private holdings of the Medici family, which, bound in red leather with the Medici coat of arms, were arranged on the benches of the Biblioteca Medicea Laurenziana when the library first opened to the public in 1571. Cosimo de' Medici (1389-1464) is known to have owned 63 books in 1417-18, which grew to 150 by the time of his death. His sons Piero (1416-69) and Giovanni (1421-63) vied with each other in commissioning illuminated manuscripts. Lorenzo il Magnifico (1449-92), son of Piero, acquired a great number of Greek codices and, starting in the 1480s, ordered copies of all texts lacking in the library with the aim of transforming the Medici library into an important center of research. Following the expulsion of the Medici from Florence in 1494, the books were taken from the family. Giovanni de' Medici, elected Pope Leo X in 1513, restored the collection to the Medici, and another Medici pope, Clement VII (Giulio de' Medici), organized the establishment of the Laurenziana.
- Gherardo, di Giovanni del Fora, approximately 1444-1497 Illuminator.
- Monte, di Giovanni del Fora, 1448-1532 or 1533 Illuminator.
- Sinibaldi, Antonio, 1443-1528 Associated Name.
- Verazzano, Alessandro Associated Name.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1489 to 1490]
- - Italy
- - 1489 to 1490
- - Bible
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Bible. Old Testament
- - Codex
- - Illuminations
- - Memory of the World
- - Psalms
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: Vellum; 360 x 530 millimeters ; 192 folios.
- - Original resource at: Medicea Laurenziana Library, Florence.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Bibliotheca Corviniana
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Gherardo, DI Giovanni Del Fora
- Monte, DI Giovanni Del Fora,533
- Sinibaldi, Antonio
- Verazzano, Alessandro
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gherardo, Di Giovanni Del Fora, Approximately Illuminator, Di Giovanni Del Fora Monte, Antonio Sinibaldi, and Alessandro Associated Name Verazzano. Psalms of David. Third Volume of the Bible. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1490, 1489] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667909/.
APA citation style:
Gherardo, D. G. D. F., Monte, D. G. D. F., Sinibaldi, A. & Verazzano, A. A. N. (1489) Psalms of David. Third Volume of the Bible. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1490] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667909/.
MLA citation style:
Gherardo, Di Giovanni Del Fora, Approximately Illuminator, et al. Psalms of David. Third Volume of the Bible. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1490, 1489] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667909/>.