Book/Printed Material The Royal Bible. Missal. Accounts of the King of Spain, 1568--1578.
About this Item
- The Royal Bible. Missal. Accounts of the King of Spain, 1568--1578.
- The Officina Plantiniana, also known as the Plantin Press or Plantijnse Drukkerij, was established in Antwerp in 1555 by Christopher Plantin (1520--89), the greatest typographer and printer-publisher of his day. The Officina grew to become the largest printing and publishing house in Europe and helped to make Antwerp, along with Venice and Paris, one of the most important centers of printing in the West. Antwerp was at that time under Spanish rule, and Plantin held the monopoly on printing religious works for the Spanish home and colonial market. Shown here is the ledger containing a summary of the accounts of the Officina's transactions with King Philip II of Spain in the years 1568--78 concerning the printing of the Biblia Polyglotta (Polyglot Bible) of 1568--73 and of liturgical books for Spain. The business archives of the Officina are an important source for the study of the book trade in Europe, economic and socioeconomic history, and intellectual developments at an especially turbulent time in the history of Europe and the West. The archives were inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register in 2001.
- Plantijnse Drukkerij Creator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1568 to 1578]
- - Belgium--Flanders--Antwerp
- - Spain
- - 1568 to 1578
- - Account books
- - Business records
- - Memory of the World
- - Philip II, King of Spain, 1527-1598
- - Plantijnse Drukkerij
- - Plantin, Christophe, approximately 1520-1589
- - Printing
- - Publishers and publishing
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Shelfmark: Arch. 5"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 32 folios : paper, contemporary parchment binding ; 415 x 260 millimeters.
- - Original resource at: Museum Plantin-Moretus/Print Room.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Plantijnse Drukkerij Creator. The Royal Bible. Missal. Accounts of the King of Spain, --1578. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1578, 1568] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667926/.
APA citation style:
Plantijnse Drukkerij Creator. (1568) The Royal Bible. Missal. Accounts of the King of Spain, --1578. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1578] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667926/.
MLA citation style:
Plantijnse Drukkerij Creator. The Royal Bible. Missal. Accounts of the King of Spain, --1578. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1578, 1568] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667926/>.