Book/Printed Material Drafts of Letters Sent by Balthasar Moretus I, 1598--1607.
About this Item
- Drafts of Letters Sent by Balthasar Moretus I, 1598--1607.
- The Officina Plantiniana, also known as the Plantin Press or Plantijnse Drukkerij, was established in Antwerp in 1555 by Christopher Plantin (1520--89), the greatest typographer and printer-publisher of his day. The Officina grew to become the largest printing and publishing house in Europe and helped to make Antwerp, along with Venice and Paris, one of the most important centers of printing in the West. Shown here is a volume containing copies of the letters sent by Balthasar Moretus I (1574--1641) during the years 1598--1607. Plantin's son-in-law Jan Moretus I inherited and ran the press after Plantin's death. His son Balthasar was employed in the family business, and together with his brother Jan Moretus II (1576-1618) he inherited the press after his father's death. Descendants of the Moretus family continued the business until 1876. The letters are in French, Dutch, Latin, and Spanish. The business archives of the Officina are an important source for the study of the book trade in Europe, economic and socioeconomic history, and intellectual developments at an especially turbulent time in the history of Europe and the West. The archives were inscribed on the UNESCO Memory of the World Register in 2001.
- Moretus, Balthasar, 1574-1641 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1598 to 1607]
- - Belgium--Flanders--Antwerp
- - 1598 to 1607
- - Business records
- - Correspondence
- - Letters
- - Memory of the World
- - Plantijnse Drukkerij
- - Printing
- - Publishers and publishing
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Shelfmark: Arch. 12"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 183 folios : paper, modern parchment binding ; 362 x 228 millimeters.
- - Original resource at: Museum Plantin-Moretus/Print Room.
- - Content in French and Latin and Dutch and Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Moretus, Balthasar, Author. Drafts of Letters Sent by Balthasar Moretus I, --1607. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1607, 1598] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667930/.
APA citation style:
Moretus, B. (1598) Drafts of Letters Sent by Balthasar Moretus I, --1607. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1607] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667930/.
MLA citation style:
Moretus, Balthasar, Author. Drafts of Letters Sent by Balthasar Moretus I, --1607. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1607, 1598] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667930/>.