Book/Printed Material Claricia Psalter.
About this Item
- Claricia Psalter.
- The Claricia Psalter was made for, and most likely by, a group of Benedictine nuns at the abbey of Saints Ulrich and Afra in Augsburg, Germany. Although the psalter itself, along with its calendar, dates to the late-12th or early 13th century, a number of texts and prayers were added in the mid-13th century. Most striking about the manuscript are its illuminations, which include a prefatory cycle, full-page miniatures, and historiated initials. While all are Romanesque in style, they vary greatly in quality and technique, and three or four different artists seem to have been at work. The psalter takes its name from one of the initials, which depicts a young girl in secular dress swinging from the initial "Q," who has "Claricia" written around her head. It has been suggested that the image represents a novice artist who signed her work, but there are many other theories, none of which is certain.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1175 to 1250]
- - Germany--Bavaria--Augsburg
- - 1175 to 1250
- - Benedictines
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Illuminations
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Prayers
- - Psalms
- - Psalters
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Walters Ms. W.26"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 189 folios : parchment ; 15 x 22.8 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Walters Art Museum.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Claricia Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1250, 1175] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667943/.
APA citation style:
(1175) Claricia Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1250] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667943/.
MLA citation style:
Claricia Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1250, 1175] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667943/>.