Book/Printed Material Book of Hours.
About this Item
- Book of Hours.
- In the Byzantine world, this book would have been known as a horologion, or book of hours. Illustrated books of hours in Greek are extremely rare, and this example is one of only two surviving horologia with image cycles. The manuscript includes many full-page miniatures, which show interaction between the late-Byzantine and Gothic artistic styles. The manuscript may have been copied on the island of Crete, which in the 15th century was under Venetian rule. Unlike the images found in Western books of hours, which typically are drawn from the New Testament, the images in this book are almost all from the Old Testament.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1450.
- - Greece
- - 1450
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Bible. Old Testament
- - Books of hours
- - Illuminations
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Prayers
- - Psalms
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Walters Ms. W.534"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 260 folios : parchment ; 7.3 x 9.2 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Walters Art Museum.
- - Content in Ancient Greek (to 1453).
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Book of Hours. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1450] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667949/.
APA citation style:
(1450) Book of Hours. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667949/.
MLA citation style:
Book of Hours. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1450] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667949/>.