Book/Printed Material Marginal Psalter.
About this Item
- Marginal Psalter.
- This manuscript, illustrated with 155 marginal paintings, is one the few surviving "marginal psalters," in which images provide a pictorial commentary on the Biblical text. Other examples include the Khludov Psalter (circa 850, Moscow, State Historical Museum, Muz. 129), the Barberini Psalter (circa 1050, Vatican City, Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, Vat. Barb. Gr. 372), the Theodore Psalter (1066, London, British Library, Add. Ms. 19,352), and a Cyrillic psalter made in Kiev (1397, Saint Petersburg, National Library of Russia, cod. OLDP, F6). The marginal psalter of the Walters Museum was apparently copied from the same 11th-century model as the Saint Petersburg manuscript, as the iconography of the two is very similar.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1280 to 1320]
- - 1280 to 1320
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Bible. Old Testament
- - Prayers
- - Psalms
- - Psalters
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Walters Ms. W.733"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 102 folios ; parchment ; 17.2 x 21.6 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Walters Art Museum.
- - Content in Ancient Greek (to 1453).
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Marginal Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1320, 1280] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667955/.
APA citation style:
(1280) Marginal Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1320] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667955/.
MLA citation style:
Marginal Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1320, 1280] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667955/>.