Book/Printed Material Corvey Gospel Fragment.
About this Item
- Corvey Gospel Fragment.
- This manuscript consists of four folios from a Gospel book that was likely made at the monastery of Corvey in western Germany during the mid-to-late tenth century. Dating to the reign of Otto I, these pages are a magnificent example of early Ottonian manuscript illumination. The heavily ornamented pages, which introduce the Gospels of Luke and John, shine with gold and jewel-like colors against dyed purple grounds. These pages combine monumental classicizing square capitals on purple grounds with rich and complex interlace. This fragment contains the opening pages of Luke (folios 93-94) and John (folios 137-38) that were originally part of Rheims, Bibliothèque Municipale, Ms. 10. The latter is a Gospel book originally owned by the Chapter Library of the Cathedral of Rheims until it was confiscated, along with the rest of the cathedral's manuscripts, during the French Revolution. Related manuscripts include New York, Pierpont Morgan Library, Ms. M. 755 and New York Public Library, Ms. 1.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [900 to 999]
- - Germany--North Rhine-Westphalia--Höxter
- - 900 to 999
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Illuminations
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Walters Ms. W.751"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 4 folios : parchment ; 24.2 x 31.2 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Walters Art Museum.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Corvey Gospel Fragment. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 900 to 999, 0900] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667956/.
APA citation style:
(0900) Corvey Gospel Fragment. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 900 to 999] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667956/.
MLA citation style:
Corvey Gospel Fragment. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 900 to 999, 0900] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667956/>.