Book/Printed Material Ethiopian Gospels.
About this Item
- Ethiopian Gospels.
- This large Ethiopian Gospel book was made in the first half of the 16th century and is written in Ga'az, the traditional liturgical language of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Containing 11 full-page miniatures, six canon tables, and five elaborately ornamented ḥarägs (headpieces), this manuscript represents the golden age of what has been termed the Gunda Gunde style, named after a monastery in the district of Agame. The Gunda Gunde style is characterized by bold blocks of color defined by detailed, and often delicate, linear motifs. Figures are highly stylized and expressive, while the accompanying canon tables and ḥarägs are filled with intricate interlace and geometric forms. The manuscript is exceptionally well preserved, and is an excellent and rare example of Ethiopian illumination from one of its important artistic centers.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1500 to 1550]
- - Ethiopia--Tigray
- - 1500 to 1550
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Ethiopian Orthodox Church
- - Illuminations
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Walters Ms. W.850"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 211 folios : parchment ; 25 x 30.2 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Walters Art Museum.
- - Content in Amharic and Geez.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ethiopian Gospels. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1550, 1500] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667958/.
APA citation style:
(1500) Ethiopian Gospels. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1550] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667958/.
MLA citation style:
Ethiopian Gospels. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1550, 1500] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667958/>.