Book/Printed Material Smoking Room: Stories of the English People of the Canaries. Smoking room: Cuentos de los ingleses de la colonia en Canarias
About this Item
- Smoking Room: Stories of the English People of the Canaries.
- Smoking room: Cuentos de los ingleses de la colonia en Canarias
- Rafael Romero Quesada, better known by his pseudonym, Alonso Quesada (1886-1925), was an important modernist poet living on Gran Canaria, in the Canary Islands archipelago of Spain. He was also literary critic and translator, who explored many forms of creative writing, among them fiction, theater, and journalism. Shown here is Smoking room: Cuentos de los ingleses de la colonia en Canarias (Smoking room: Stories of the English people of the Canaries; the cover is actually marked "Smocking-room"), some parts of which are in manuscript and others in typescript. The work is a collection of ten short stories (in draft form and various stages of correction) and uses dialogue as the main vehicle to deliver the narrative. The volume also includes press clippings from the publication of some of the stories in Barcelona in 1918-21. In all of his literary oeuvre, Quesada expressed his intellectual uneasiness, existential bitterness, and profound sense of irony. He was a close friend and contemporary of Canarian poets Tomás Morales and Saulo Torón. These closely observed tone poems about the British community in the Canaries offer a quiet charm and lyricism. Quesada's prose paints a subtle but satirical picture of the insular expatriate community building a slice of English life on alien soil. A current of understanding of the hardship and poverty of his era underlies this work. Three collections of his poetry were published in in the period 1915-22. Much of Alonso Quesada's output was unpublished at his death at a young age from tuberculosis, including Los caminos dispersos (The scattered paths), which had just been shortlisted for Spain's National Literature Prize. This volume is in the collections of the Gran Canaria Island Library.
- Quesada, Alonso, 1886-1925 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1921.
- - Spain--Canary Islands
- - 1921
- - Colonization
- - Great Britain--Colonies
- - Poetry
- - Spanish literature
- - Spanish poetry
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 100 leaves in two folders ; 22 centimeters or less.
- - Original resource at: Cabildo of Gran Canaria, Canary Islands.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Quesada, Alonso, Author. Smoking Room: Stories of the English People of the Canaries. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1921] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667959/.
APA citation style:
Quesada, A. (1921) Smoking Room: Stories of the English People of the Canaries. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667959/.
MLA citation style:
Quesada, Alonso, Author. Smoking Room: Stories of the English People of the Canaries. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1921] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667959/>.