Book/Printed Material Albéniz. Variations for T.R.M.. Albéniz. Variaciones para S. A. R.
About this Item
- Albéniz. Variations for T.R.M..
- Albéniz. Variaciones para S. A. R.
- Albéniz. Variaciones para S.A.R. (Albéniz. Variations for T.R.M.) is an album of music by Pedro Albéniz (1795-1855) composed between 1820 and 1850 for Their Royal Majesties, meaning the Spanish monarchs Ferdinand VII and his elder daughter, the future Isabella II. Albéniz was piano tutor to Isabella before her majority and to her younger sister, Infanta Maria Luisa Fernanda, later duchess of Monpensier. The volume is bound in regal red leather, stamped in gold, with the crown on the cover. It contains 24 handwritten scores, including 20 pieces by Albéniz, most of which are two- or four-hand piano arrangements. Also in the album are a number of Albéniz transcriptions of works by other major 19th century composers from Spain and elsewhere in Europe, particularly of opera music. These include six pieces adapted from Vincenzo Bellini's Norma, and others from Bellini's I Montecchi e I Capuleti, Il pirata, and La Sonnambula; two from Gaetano Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor; and one from Giuseppi Verdi's Nabucco. Also included is a Bellini aria transcribed by Francisco Frontera de Valldemosa. Other composers and arrangers represented in the volume are Gioacchino Rossini, Henri Rosellen, Carl Czerny, and Gaetano Corticelli. Albéniz composed some of the works gathered here for special royal occasions, such as the birthday of Queen Maria Christina, widow of Ferdinand VII and regent for Isabella II. The manuscript album is part of the Musical Library of the House of Orleáns, dukes of Montpensier, and was acquired by the Cabildo de Gran Canaria, the Canary Islands, Spain, in 1973. The album is in the collections of the Gran Canaria Island Library.
- Albéniz, Pedro, 1795-1855 Composer.
- Bellini, Vincenzo, 1801-1835 Composer.
- Corticelli, Gaetano, 1804-1840 Composer.
- Czerny, Carl, 1791-1857 Composer.
- Donizetti, Gaetano, 1797-1848 Composer.
- Frontera de Valldemosa, Francisco, 1807-1891 Composer.
- Rosellen, Henri, 1811-1876 Composer.
- Rossini, Gioacchino, 1792-1868 Composer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1820 to 1850]
- - Spain
- - 1820 to 1850
- - Ferdinand VII, King of Spain, 1784-1833
- - Isabella II, Queen of Spain, 1830-1904
- - Kings and rulers
- - María Cristina, Queen, consort of Ferdinand VII, King of Spain, 1806-1878
- - Music
- - Musical scores
- - Operas
- - Piano
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 volume, 217 leaves ; 22 x 32 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Cabildo of Gran Canaria, Canary Islands.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Albéniz, Pedro
- Bellini, Vincenzo
- Corticelli, Gaetano
- Czerny, Carl
- Donizetti, Gaetano
- Frontera De Valldemosa, Francisco
- Rosellen, Henri
- Rossini, Gioacchino
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Albéniz, Pedro, Composer, Vincenzo Bellini, Gaetano Corticelli, Carl Czerny, Gaetano Donizetti, Francisco Frontera De Valldemosa, Henri Rosellen, and Gioacchino Rossini. Albéniz. Variations for T.R.M. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1850, 1820] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667961/.
APA citation style:
Albéniz, P., Bellini, V., Corticelli, G., Czerny, C., Donizetti, G., Frontera De Valldemosa, F. [...] Rossini, G. (1820) Albéniz. Variations for T.R.M. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1850] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667961/.
MLA citation style:
Albéniz, Pedro, Composer, et al. Albéniz. Variations for T.R.M. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1850, 1820] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667961/>.