Book/Printed Material Layout Plan for the Sheltered Port of La Luz and the Projected Works. Plano del Puerto de refugio de La Luz y de las obras que se proyectan
About this Item
- Layout Plan for the Sheltered Port of La Luz and the Projected Works.
- Plano del Puerto de refugio de La Luz y de las obras que se proyectan
- This document is an original plan for the port of La Luz, situated in the Bay of Las Isletas in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Canary Islands, Spain). It was drawn up by the engineer Juan de León y Castillo (1834-1912), whose idea was to construct an outer dock measuring 1,240 meters long, starting from an anterior pier providing shelter on a north-south axis. A transverse dock some 600 meters in length running in an east-west direction would complete the port seawall and separate the port from the outer harbor. As constructed, the port starts from the isthmus of Guanarteme, near Saint Catalina Castle, with intermediate coastal piers. For the last five centuries, the bay of La Luz and the port of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria have served as bases for supplying ships on their way through the mid-Atlantic. In the late 19th century, the port became especially important as a coaling station for ships en route to the Americas, Africa, and Europe. Construction of the port of La Luz was completed in 1883-1903. The port is undoubtedly the best known of the projects undertaken by Juan de León y Castillo, who was responsible for planning, supervising, and implementing the project. Its fame rests on its scale, advanced use of hydraulics engineering, and its success in becoming an engine for growth and transformation of the insular economy. Today, La Luz is the fourth busiest port in Spain and the 100th in the world with regard to container traffic. More than a million passengers go through it each year, traveling between the islands and the Iberian Peninsula. The plan is in the collections of the León y Castillo House Museum, in Gran Canaria.
- León y Castillo, Juan de, 1834-1912 Engineer.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1881.
- - Spain--Canary Islands--Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- - 1881
- - Designs and plans
- - Docks and ports
- - Harbors
- - Manuscript maps
- - Nautical charts
- - Ports
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Scale: 1:3,000 meters"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 1 plan in ink ; 60 x 90 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Cabildo of Gran Canaria, Canary Islands.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
León Y Castillo, Juan De, Engineer. Layout Plan for the Sheltered Port of La Luz and the Projected Works. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1881] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667964/.
APA citation style:
León Y Castillo, J. D. (1881) Layout Plan for the Sheltered Port of La Luz and the Projected Works. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667964/.
MLA citation style:
León Y Castillo, Juan De, Engineer. Layout Plan for the Sheltered Port of La Luz and the Projected Works. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1881] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667964/>.