Book/Printed Material Plans for the Cabildo of Gran Canaria. Planos del Cabildo de Gran Canaria
About this Item
- Plans for the Cabildo of Gran Canaria.
- Planos del Cabildo de Gran Canaria
- Presented here is the set of plans and elevations for the head office of the Cabildo de Gran Canaria (Council of Gran Canaria), located on Bravo Murillo Street, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. The plans are preserved in the General Archive of the Cabildo. These architectural drawings have exceptional documentary value. They are the only complete surviving set of plans of several that were used in the workshop of the architect, Miguel Martín-Fernández de la Torre, who worked on the project between 1929 and 1932. The plans are dated Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, September 1932, and signed by Miguel Martín-Fernández de la Torre. Construction began in 1937, and the new Cabildo building officially opened on April 29, 1941. The building, which was the product of five successive designs, is an essential landmark for understanding modernity in the Canary Islands. Miguel Martín sought to design a structure that linked civil society, the political institution, and an architectural model, in so doing creating a building that ranks as an important example of the European architectural style known as Rationalism.
- Gran Canaria (Canary Islands). Cabildo Insular Client.
- Martín, Miguel, 1894-1980 Architect.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1932-09.
- - Spain--Canary Islands--Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- - 1932-09
- - Architectural drawings
- - Architecture, Modern
- - Designs and plans
- - Gran Canaria (Canary Islands). Cabildo Insular
- - Office buildings
- - Politics and government
- - Projections
- - Rationalism (Architecture)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 10 architectural plans on paper ; 45 x 48.3 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Cabildo of Gran Canaria, Canary Islands.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gran Canaria . Cabildo Insular Client, and Miguel Martín. Plans for the Cabildo of Gran Canaria. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -09, 1932] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667966/.
APA citation style:
Gran Canaria . Cabildo Insular Client & Martín, M. (1932) Plans for the Cabildo of Gran Canaria. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -09] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667966/.
MLA citation style:
Gran Canaria . Cabildo Insular Client, and Miguel Martín. Plans for the Cabildo of Gran Canaria. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -09, 1932] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667966/>.