Book/Printed Material Collection of Texts on Mathematical Astronomy and the Natural Sciences.
About this Item
- Collection of Texts on Mathematical Astronomy and the Natural Sciences.
- This manuscript is a collection of texts on mathematical astronomy and the natural sciences dating from early in the ninth century. The illuminations are mainly of astronomical content and are based on models from late antiquity. They include the occupations of the 12 months, the earliest surviving medieval illuminations of this type (folio 91 verso); an astronomical map (folio 113 verso); the constellations (folios 115 verso-121 recto); and the 12 winds (folio 139 recto). The manuscript was copied in Salzburg, apparently from a northern French exemplar, and was presumably in the possession of the Benedictine monastery of Saint Emmeram in Ratisbon (present-day Regensburg), Bavaria, during medieval times.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 0818.
- - Austria--Salzburg
- - 818
- - Astronomy, Medieval
- - Calendars
- - Constellations
- - Illuminations
- - Science, Medieval
- - Zodiac
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Clm 210|This description of the work was written by Karl-Georg Pfändtner and Elisabeth Wunderle of the Bavarian State Library"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 163 leaves : parchment, illuminations ; 31.5 x 24 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Collection of Texts on Mathematical Astronomy and the Natural Sciences. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 0818] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667978/.
APA citation style:
(0818) Collection of Texts on Mathematical Astronomy and the Natural Sciences. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667978/.
MLA citation style:
Collection of Texts on Mathematical Astronomy and the Natural Sciences. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 0818] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667978/>.