Book/Printed Material Sacramentary of Henry II.
About this Item
- Sacramentary of Henry II.
- This sacramentary was written for Henry II (973--1024) before he was crowned Holy Roman Emperor in 1014. It was executed by a workshop in Ratisbon (present-day Regensburg). There the influence of the Carolingian model of the Codex aureus, a ninth-century gospel written for Emperor Charles the Bald and preserved in the monastery of Saint Emmeram, was a crucial stimulus for the Ottonian school of illumination 100 years later. The picture of the emperor closely resembles that of the earlier exemplar, but was adapted to the current political situation by the addition of more provinces in attendance. It is preceded by an image of the coronation by Christ of the emperor. The text of the sacramentary is introduced by a portrait of Saint Gregory; other miniatures frame the Canon missae. An unusual illumination is the picture of the women at the sepulcher, which completes the Crucifixion before the Te igitur (the first prayer of the mass, which begins Te igitur clementissime Pater [Thee, therefore, most merciful Father]). On the front cover the binding is decorated with an ivory depicting the Crucifixion which is related to that of a gospel book from Bamberg. On the back cover a portrait of Saint Gregory in silver is part of the original binding. The last member of the Ottonian dynasty, Henry became king of Germany in 1002. He was canonized in 1146 and is also known as Saint Henry.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1002 to 1014]
- - Germany--Bavaria--Regensburg
- - 1002 to 1014
- - Henry II, Holy Roman Emperor, 973-1024
- - Illuminations
- - Liturgies
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Prayers
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Clm 4456|This description of the work was written by Karl-Georg Pfändtner of the Bavarian State Library."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 360 leaves : parchment, illuminations ; 30 x 24 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sacramentary of Henry II. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1014, 1002] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667980/.
APA citation style:
(1002) Sacramentary of Henry II. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1014] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667980/.
MLA citation style:
Sacramentary of Henry II. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1014, 1002] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667980/>.