Book/Printed Material Gospel of Lorsch (Evangeliary of Udalrich).
About this Item
- Gospel of Lorsch (Evangeliary of Udalrich).
- This lavishly decorated Gospel lectionary belongs to a group of manuscripts in which is mentioned an Oudalricus peccator (Udalrich the sinner), who has been connected to Udalrich, abbot of the monastery of Lorsch, who died in 1075. It is decorated with golden display script in capitals, and initials in gold and silver. The main feasts (Christmas, Easter, Whitsun, and the feast of Saint Michael) are emphasized by full-size miniatures. The manuscript also displays four full-page framed miniatures depicting the evangelists in the unusual order of Matthew, Luke, John, and Mark. The precious binding of the manuscript is decorated with an ivory table on both front and back covers. The one on the front cover, depicting a crucifixion, the three women at the grave, and the ascension, was probably made in 11th-century Franconia; its framing ornamental ivories can be dated to the 12th or 13th centuries. Similar ivory plates serve as a frame to the side wings of a consular diptych from Ravenna or Rome on the back cover, which is datable to around 450. The manuscript has been attributed to the monastery dedicated to Saint Michael on Heiligenberg near Heidelberg, which was affiliated with that of Lorsch.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1100 to 1199]
- - Germany--Baden-Württemberg--Heidelberg
- - 1100 to 1199
- - Bible
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Fasts and feasts
- - Illuminations
- - Lectionaries
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Clm 23630|This description of the work was written by Béatrice Hernad of the Bavarian State Library."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 81 leaves : parchment, illuminations.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gospel of Lorsch Evangeliary of Udalrich. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1199, 1100] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667985/.
APA citation style:
(1100) Gospel of Lorsch Evangeliary of Udalrich. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1199] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667985/.
MLA citation style:
Gospel of Lorsch Evangeliary of Udalrich. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1199, 1100] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667985/>.