Book/Printed Material Evangeliary of Michaelbeuern, Four Gospels with Illuminations of the Evangelists. Quattuor Evangelia cum imaginibus pictis SS. Evangelistarum
About this Item
- Evangeliary of Michaelbeuern, Four Gospels with Illuminations of the Evangelists.
- Quattuor Evangelia cum imaginibus pictis SS. Evangelistarum
- The Gospel book from the Benedictine monastery at Michaelbeuern is considered a work of the Salzburg school because of its similarity to other Salzburg manuscripts. Whether it was brought to Michaelbeuern in the first half of the 11th century (when that monastery was being reestablished from Saint Peter's in Salzburg) or later cannot be determined with certainty. Besides canon tables and lesser initials, it shows, on double leaves, which are interpolated but which always have formed part of the manuscript, four illustrations of the evangelists facing ornamental initial pages. The evangelists, with their long-winged symbols descending from above, are laid out in bright colors on a pure-gold ground. Only writing stands and utensils complete the compositions, so that attention is concentrated on the relationship between the evangelists and their symbols.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1030 to 1040]
- - Austria--Salzburg
- - 1030 to 1040
- - Bible
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Illuminations
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Clm 8272|This description of the work was written by Karl-Georg Pfändtner of the Bavarian State Library."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 178 leaves : parchment, illuminations.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Evangeliary of Michaelbeuern, Four Gospels with Illuminations of the Evangelists. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1040, 1030] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667986/.
APA citation style:
(1030) Evangeliary of Michaelbeuern, Four Gospels with Illuminations of the Evangelists. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1040] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667986/.
MLA citation style:
Evangeliary of Michaelbeuern, Four Gospels with Illuminations of the Evangelists. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1040, 1030] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667986/>.