Book/Printed Material Gospel.
About this Item
- This Gospel book contains decorated canon tables, extending over 16 pages, and portraits of the evangelists, positioned at the beginning of the respective Gospels. It is decorated with five full-page framed miniatures on gilt ground, the first of which depicts Christ enthroned, with a book in his left hand and blessing with his right. Eight pen-drawn initials mark the beginnings of the argumenta (short versions of the evangelist's life) in the Gospels of Mark, Luke, and John as well as the passages in all four Gospels concerning the Passion of Christ. The first prologue and each Gospel begin with an initial painted in gold. Scholars ascribe this Gospel to a specific group of lavishly illuminated liturgical manuscripts, which was created during the time of Abbot Isingrim of Ottobeuren (1145-80) in the scriptorium of Ottobeuren Abbey in Bavaria. These precious codices are today scattered in different libraries or privately owned. For stylistic reasons scholars have dated this particular liturgical book to around 1165.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1165.
- - Germany--Bavaria--Ottobeuren
- - 1165
- - Bible
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Illuminations
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Clm 21255|This description of the work was written by Béatrice Hernad of the Bavarian State Library."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 196 leaves : parchment, illuminations ; 30 x 22 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gospel. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1165] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667989/.
APA citation style:
(1165) Gospel. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667989/.
MLA citation style:
Gospel. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1165] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667989/>.