Book/Printed Material Bible: New Testament (without Gospels).
About this Item
- Bible: New Testament (without Gospels).
- This illuminated manuscript, most probably written in the third quarter of the 11th century in the scriptorium of the Benedictine monastery of Tegernsee, comprises the New Testament, but lacks the four Gospels. It includes the prologues and arguments concerning the Pauline epistles, the Pauline epistles themselves, the Acts of the Apostles, the canonical epistles, and the Apocalypse. The text is preceded by a miniature (originally bound between folios seven and eight) depicting the Apostle Paul sitting on a throne in an aedicula (chapel). The two figures standing next to him, each holding a scroll, can be identified as his disciples Timothy and Titus. The groups of figures in the frame sections probably represent the churches to which the Pauline epistles were addressed, because later captions in the margins identify some of these people as Corinthians, Philippians, and Thessalonians. Coloring, conception, and design make this manuscript a typical example of the book production of Tegernsee in the 11th century. The fact that the codex was intensively used in later times is witnessed by supplements dating from the 13th century as well as the replacements for most of the original prologues. The miniature of Paul was partially overpainted in the 15th century.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1050 to 1499]
- - Germany--Bavaria--Tegernsee
- - 1050 to 1499
- - Bible
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Illuminations
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Clm 18128|This description of the work was written by Karl-Georg Pfändtner of the Bavarian State Library."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: II + 255 leaves : parchment, illuminations ; 30 x 21 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bible: New Testament without Gospels. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1499, 1050] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667992/.
APA citation style:
(1050) Bible: New Testament without Gospels. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1499] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667992/.
MLA citation style:
Bible: New Testament without Gospels. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1499, 1050] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667992/>.