Book/Printed Material Gospel of Passau.
About this Item
- Gospel of Passau.
- This Gospel lectionary contains the text of the liturgical Gospel readings for the main feast days. Written and illuminated in the 12th century in the Bavarian diocesan town of Passau, it remained in use at least until the 15th century, as it is shown by the exquisite metal binding with a deep relief, displaying the figure of Christ carved in rock crystal, which was executed at that time. The manuscript itself is one of the finest examples of Romanesque illumination from southeast Bavaria; it displays magnificent gold initials with near-naturalistic representations of animals and climbing figures depicted in the tendrils of the initials. Five full-page miniatures with figurative illuminations are directly related to the respective feast days, such as the feast of John the Baptist, the birth of the Virgin, and the feast of Peter and Paul. The picture cycle ends with the magnificent figure of Ecclesia (the church) on her throne, holding a cross and an oil lamp. Two artists participated in the execution of the illuminations. One has been named "Master of Saint Peter" after the illumination he executed on folio 32 verso (the crucifixion of Saint Peter). The other artist is usually referred to as "Master of Ecclesia," as he painted the miniature of Ecclesia on folio 39 verso.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1170 to 1180]
- - Germany--Bavaria--Passau
- - 1170 to 1180
- - Bible
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Illuminations
- - Lectionaries
- - Liturgies
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Clm 16002|This description of the work was written by Béatrice Hernad of the Bavarian State Library."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 44 leaves : parchment, illuminations ; 32.5 x 22.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gospel of Passau. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1180, 1170] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667994/.
APA citation style:
(1170) Gospel of Passau. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1180] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667994/.
MLA citation style:
Gospel of Passau. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1180, 1170] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667994/>.