Book/Printed Material Book of Hours: Images of the Life of Christ and the Saints.
About this Item
- Book of Hours: Images of the Life of Christ and the Saints.
- This manuscript, a book of hours from the late 13th century, is comprised of 87 full-page illuminations illustrating scenes from the life of Christ and the lives of saints. The book is a Cistercian church calendar in Latin. The other text to be found in the work is a short caption under each image. When it was first created, the codex included 90 illuminations. A masterpiece of gothic illumination, the manuscript shows how important religious images were for the devotions of its owner. This most likely was a wealthy lay woman, probably Marie de Rethel, lady of Enghien (circa 1231-1315), who lived in Mons, in the county of Hainaut and diocese of Cambrai. Another possible owner could have been Marie of Gavre, a Cistercian from Wauthier-Braine near Nivelles, also in the diocese of Cambrai. The paintings are by two artists: Master Henri and an anonymous painter who was, however, more involved in the work and who painted the most beautiful illustrations. The style of the illuminations shows influences from the artistic traditions of France, England, and the Holy Roman Empire. The presence of local saints such as Gertrude of Nivelles (626-59), Waudru (died circa 688), Lambert, and others links the manuscript to the diocese of Cambrai.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1275 to 1299]
- - France
- - 1275 to 1299
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Books of hours
- - Calendars
- - Cistercians
- - Codex
- - Illuminations
- - Jesus Christ
- - Liturgies
- - Prayers
- - Psalms
- - Saints
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 107 folios ; 180 x 130 millimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of France.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Book of Hours: Images of the Life of Christ and the Saints. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1299, 1275] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668071/.
APA citation style:
(1275) Book of Hours: Images of the Life of Christ and the Saints. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1299] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668071/.
MLA citation style:
Book of Hours: Images of the Life of Christ and the Saints. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1299, 1275] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668071/>.