Book/Printed Material Garvin Papers. Bound Notebook.
About this Item
- Garvin Papers. Bound Notebook.
- In April 1915 Second Lieutenant Roland Gerard Garvin of the British Army enrolled in a course of instruction at Staff College in Camberley, Surrey, England. There he attended lectures on tactical instruction, topography, field engineering, administration, organization, military law, and hygiene. One of his lecturers was Major Hubert Conway Rees, who had commanded a battalion during the retreat from Mons in 1914. These notes and drawings by Garvin are from a tour of field works that he made as part of the course and that was led by Major Rees. The notes indicate that Garvin learned how to create a loophole in a nine-inch (22.86-centimeter) and in a 14-inch (35.56-centimeter) wall, how to conceal an abattis or field fortification, and the measurements for an effective overhead cover. Major Rees stressed the need to use this knowledge along with common sense, as "trenching" was not an exact science. The DSO after Rees's name is an abbreviation for Distinguished Service Order, a British military honor.
- Garvin, Roland Gerard, 1895-1916 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1915-04-06 to 1915-04-23]
- - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland--England--Camberley
- - 1915-04-06 to 1915-04-23
- - Great Britain. Army
- - Military administration
- - Military education
- - Military law
- - Military maps
- - Trench warfare
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 bound notebook ; 228 x 178 millimeters.
- - Original resource at: The British Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World War I
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Garvin, Roland Gerard, Author. Garvin Papers. Bound Notebook. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04-06 to -04-23, 1915] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668072/.
APA citation style:
Garvin, R. G. (1915) Garvin Papers. Bound Notebook. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04-06 to -04-23] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668072/.
MLA citation style:
Garvin, Roland Gerard, Author. Garvin Papers. Bound Notebook. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04-06 to -04-23, 1915] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668072/>.