Book/Printed Material The Bad Child's Book of A.D.C's. The Bad Child's Book of A.D.C's
About this Item
- The Bad Child's Book of A.D.C's.
- The Bad Child's Book of A.D.C's
- The Bad Child's Book of A.D.C's is a short manuscript book of ink drawings and verse, probably produced by a British officer working at the General Head Quarters of the British Army in Montreuil Sur Mer, France, in 1917, during World War I. The subjects of the poems and drawings are the aides de camp working at the Allied General Staff. An aide de camp is a military officer who works as personal assistant or secretary to senior army or naval personnel. Among those caricatured was Colonel Alan Fletcher, senior aide de camp to Field Marshall Douglas Haig, commander of the British Expeditionary Force. The author of this satirical work clearly wished to remain anonymous. The back cover of the book features what is ostensibly a view of the author, in uniform, from the rear, with the caption "Back view of the author of this regrettable publication." It can easily be imagined that this book was passed round to a number of the officers at headquarters and that the author did not want it to fall into the wrong hands or to have his identity discovered.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1917-04.
- - France--Nord - Pas-de-Calais--Montreuil
- - 1917-04
- - Caricatures and cartoons
- - English poetry
- - Great Britain. Army
- - Military officers
- - Parody
- - Poetry
- - Satires (Visual works)
- - World War, 1914-1918
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource at: The British Library.
- - Content in English.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- World War I
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Bad Child's Book of A.D.C's. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04, 1917] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668073/.
APA citation style:
(1917) The Bad Child's Book of A.D.C's. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668073/.
MLA citation style:
The Bad Child's Book of A.D.C's. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, -04, 1917] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668073/>.