Book/Printed Material Poem on the Acts of the Apostles. Carmen de actibus apostolorum
About this Item
- Poem on the Acts of the Apostles.
- Carmen de actibus apostolorum
- Arator's De Actibus Apostolorum (Acts of the Apostles), written in the sixth century, is the last example of Roman Biblical verse epic in the classical tradition. This 10th-century manuscript is decorated with a pen-and-ink drawing depicting Arator as he hands his work over for correction to Florianus, abbot of a convent near Milan; it is the earliest portrait of Arator to be preserved. The manuscript, which was apparently much used in the Middle Ages, seems to have been written and decorated in southwest Germany towards the end of the 10th century. It must be considered one of the rare examples of illuminated manuscripts from the Strasburg-Speyer-Worms region. The codex apparently reached the Benedictine monastery of Tegernsee soon after its completion, since it bears additions by known 11th-century scribes from this monastery, such as Froumund.
- Arator, Subdiaconus, active 513-544 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [975 to 999]
- - Germany
- - 975 to 999
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Illuminations
- - Latin poetry
- - Poetry
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Clm 19451|This description of the work was written by Claudia Fabian of the Bavarian State Library."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 137 folios : parchment ; 15 x 11.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Arator, Subdiaconus, Active 513-544 Author. Poem on the Acts of the Apostles. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 975 to 999, 0975] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668078/.
APA citation style:
Arator, S. (0975) Poem on the Acts of the Apostles. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 975 to 999] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668078/.
MLA citation style:
Arator, Subdiaconus, Active 513-544 Author. Poem on the Acts of the Apostles. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 975 to 999, 0975] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668078/>.