Book/Printed Material The Armorial of Conrad von Grünenberg.
About this Item
- The Armorial of Conrad von Grünenberg.
- The Armorial of Conrad von Grünenberg is a splendid manuscript containing several hundred colored coats of arms. It was written on parchment and seems to be a contemporary copy from the original version on paper written in 1483, preserved today in Berlin. It formed part of the library of the dukes of Bavaria and was probably in the possession of Duke Wilhelm IV of Bavaria (1493-1550). Depicted are the coats of arms of barons, dukes, margraves, archbishops, free cities and towns, and orders of knights from throughout Germany, as well as the royal coats of arms of the kingdoms of Europe. Konrad Grünenberg was an important burgher and knight and a descendant of a patrician dynasty from Konstanz, located on Lake Constance in southwestern Germany. There is no evidence for the exact date of his birth or death. His name first appears when he is mentioned as a builder commissioned by the town of Konstanz in 1442. Grünenberg occupied himself with heraldry and composed the armorial that came to bear his name. Several copies later were produced from Grünenberg's original autograph copy, including this contemporary copy.
- Grünenberg, Konrad, 1442-1494 Compiler.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1483.
- - Germany
- - 1483
- - Devices (Heraldry)
- - Illuminations
- - Kings and rulers
- - Knights and knighthood
- - Nobility
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Cgm 145"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 182 folios : parchment ; 37 x 31 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Middle High German (ca. 1050-1500).
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Grünenberg, Konrad, Compiler. The Armorial of Conrad von Grünenberg. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1483] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668082/.
APA citation style:
Grünenberg, K. (1483) The Armorial of Conrad von Grünenberg. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668082/.
MLA citation style:
Grünenberg, Konrad, Compiler. The Armorial of Conrad von Grünenberg. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1483] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668082/>.