Book/Printed Material Bobbio Psalter. Psalterium
About this Item
- Bobbio Psalter.
- Together with two manuscripts in the Vatican Library, this psalter preserves the so-called diacritical Milan recension of the Psalms, which was carried out between the end of the eighth century and the middle of the ninth century. The Psalms, the core of the work, are preceded by a critical foreword on the text and by other introductory matter; biblical canticles and hymns in a typical Milan arrangement are annexed. According to recent research, the present copy was produced as early as the last decades of the ninth century in Milan, where the manuscript remained for at least three centuries. It remains unclear how it came into the ducal art collection in Munich, where it must have arrived by 1580 at the latest; from there it was transferred to the court library. Besides a full-page picture of David as Psalmist, the manuscript is decorated with interlace frames and numerous historiated and figured initials. The stylistic model is Franco-Saxon illumination, here with regional variations. Influences from late antiquity have been noted, particularly in the treatment of the figures.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [875 to 899]
- - Italy--Lombardy--Milan
- - 875 to 899
- - Bible. Old Testament
- - Hymns
- - Illuminations
- - Prayers
- - Psalms
- - Psalters
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Clm 343"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 236 folios : parchment ; 25 x 17.5 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bobbio Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 875 to 899, 0875] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668085/.
APA citation style:
(0875) Bobbio Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 875 to 899] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668085/.
MLA citation style:
Bobbio Psalter. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 875 to 899, 0875] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668085/>.