Book/Printed Material Gospel Book. Evangelia
About this Item
- Gospel Book.
- This manuscript Gospel book is believed to have been produced around 1150 in Passau, Germany. This codex and the Gospel of Passau (also in the World Digital Library) are outstanding manuscripts, isolated within the manuscript production of that time and place. The Gospel book opens with eight pages of canon tables, which are very elaborate. Four full-page pictures of the sitting Evangelists appear as three-dimensional. In the 15th century the work was bound in covers of gold-plated brass. The front cover is dominated by the figure of Madonna on the throne; her head is made from rock crystal. In the corners of the front cover were added medallions with the symbols of the Evangelists engraved below glass. The manuscript belonged to the monastery of Saint Nicholas in Passau and was transferred to Munich in 1803 or 1804.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1150 to 1160]
- - Germany--Bavaria--Passau
- - 1150 to 1160
- - Bible
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Codex
- - Illuminations
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Clm 16003|This description of the work was written by Béatrice Hernad of the Bavarian State Library."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: I + 134 folios : parchment ; 32.5 x 24 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gospel Book. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1160, 1150] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668098/.
APA citation style:
(1150) Gospel Book. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1160] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668098/.
MLA citation style:
Gospel Book. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1160, 1150] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668098/>.