Book/Printed Material Compendium of Astronomy and Astrology. Compendio de astronomía y astrología
About this Item
- Compendium of Astronomy and Astrology.
- Compendio de astronomía y astrología
- This manuscript with beautifully illuminated margins, by an unknown writer, is an 18th century compendium of works on astronomy and astrology. It contains excerpts of several treatises on astronomy and numerology: Lunario y pronóstico perpetuo (Perpetual calendar and forecast) by Jerónimo Cortés; fragments of volumes seven, eight, and nine of Tomás Vicente Tosca's Compendio mathematico (Compendium of mathematics); and a work by Diego de Torres Villarroel, El hermitaño, y Torres, Aventura curiosa en que se trata de la piedra philosophal y las tres Cartillas rústica, médica y eclesiástica (The hermit, and Torres: a curious adventure that addresses the philosopher's stone, and three brief rustic, medical, and ecclesiastical treatises). Cortés (died circa 1615) and Tosca (1651-1723) were both Valencian authors. Cortés was a writer and mathematician, whose Lunario y pronóstico perpetuo made him well known in Spain, France, and Italy. The book starts with a chronology, the ages of the world and mankind, the months, the days of the week, the winds, and the movable feasts. It goes on to make predictions based on the planets, the influence of the moon, and other elements found in nature that the author claims can be used to foretell the future. Tosca's Compendio mathematico was published between 1707 and 1715. Comprised of nine volumes, it was issued in three editions in the 18th century. Its publication marked a significant milestone, as the work clearly explains, in the vernacular language of Spain, many aspects of the new science, along with Galileo Galilei's methodological assumptions. Diego de Torres Villarroel (1693--1770) was a playwright and poet, a physician, mathematician, priest, and professor at the University of Salamanca. His work focused on the study of astronomy and astrology.
- Cortés, Jerónimo, died approximately 1615 Contributor.
- Torres Villarroel, Diego de, 1693-1770 Contributor.
- Tosca, Tomás Vicente, 1651-1723 Contributor.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1774.
- - Spain
- - 1774
- - Astrology
- - Astronomy
- - Astronomy -- Tables
- - Divination
- - Illuminations
- - Numerology
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 228 pages : illustrations, tables ; 25 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Valencian Library Nicolau Primitiu.
- - Content in Spanish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cortés, Jerónimo, Died Approximately 1615 Contributor, Diego De Torres Villarroel, and Tomás Vicente Tosca. Compendium of Astronomy and Astrology. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1774] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668107/.
APA citation style:
Cortés, J., Torres Villarroel, D. D. & Tosca, T. V. (1774) Compendium of Astronomy and Astrology. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668107/.
MLA citation style:
Cortés, Jerónimo, Died Approximately 1615 Contributor, Diego De Torres Villarroel, and Tomás Vicente Tosca. Compendium of Astronomy and Astrology. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1774] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668107/>.