Book/Printed Material "Hortus Regius" or Queen Christina's Genealogical Tree with Political Emblems. Hortus Regius
About this Item
- "Hortus Regius" or Queen Christina's Genealogical Tree with Political Emblems.
- Hortus Regius
- Hortus Regius (The royal garden) was given to the Swedish queen Christina about 1645 by its creator, the diplomat Shering Rosenhane (1609-63). With this elegant manuscript, Rosenhane wanted to celebrate the first year of the queen's reign. The volume is introduced by a full-length portrait of Queen Christina. Hortus Regius is an emblem book, in which each emblem consists of textual and pictorial elements. Elements from classical, medieval, and contemporary literature of a sententious character useful to a queen are combined with illustrations by the Dutch painter Pieter Holsteyn the Younger (circa 1614--73). The Hortus Regius is intended as a kind of mirror for princes-a book of instruction for a sovereign, in which the tone is set by virtue and where the essential principles are patience and prudence. Whereas the manuscript is largely based on other international emblem books, the illustrations are to some extent adapted to a Swedish context. The subtitle of the work, "Queen Christina's Genealogical Tree with Political Emblems," indicates the importance of genealogy in the emblematic genre. The manuscript is bound in red morocco and consists of two main parts, of which the first contains many illustrations alternating with genealogical trees and emblems. The emblems are accompanied by quotations in Latin, Italian, French, and Spanish. The second part of the volume is a list of contemporary princely houses in Europe. The manuscript was later in the possession of J. Alströmer, who in 1769 presented it as a gift to the future King Gustav III of Sweden. It was acquired by the National Library of Sweden at the end of the 18th century, along with the rest of the king's library.
- Holsteyn, Pieter, II, around 1614-1687 Artist.
- Rosenhane, Schering, 1609-1663 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1645.
- - Sweden
- - 1645
- - Allegory
- - Christina, Queen of Sweden, 1626-1689
- - Emblems
- - Kings and rulers
- - Latin poetry
- - Nobility
- - Poetry
- - Signs and symbols
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Shelfmark: H 45 Fol."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 38 leaves : illustrations ; 39 x 27 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Sweden.
- - Content in French and Italian and Latin and Spanish and Swedish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Holsteyn, Pieter, Ii, Around Artist, and Schering Rosenhane. "Hortus Regius" or Queen Christina's Genealogical Tree with Political Emblems. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1645] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668149/.
APA citation style:
Holsteyn, P. & Rosenhane, S. (1645) "Hortus Regius" or Queen Christina's Genealogical Tree with Political Emblems. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668149/.
MLA citation style:
Holsteyn, Pieter, Ii, Around Artist, and Schering Rosenhane. "Hortus Regius" or Queen Christina's Genealogical Tree with Political Emblems. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1645] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668149/>.