Book/Printed Material Rålamb Book of Costumes. Rålambska dräktboken
About this Item
- Rålamb Book of Costumes.
- Rålambska dräktboken
- Rålambska dräktboken (The Rålamb book of costumes) is a part of the Rålamb Collection in the manuscript holdings at the National Library of Sweden. The founder of the collection was Baron Gustaf Rålamb (1675-1750), one of the most well-known manuscript collectors of the 18th century. The book of costumes was bought by Gustaf Rålamb's father, Claes Rålamb (1622-98), in Constantinople in 1657-58. The Rålamb Collection was donated to the National Library in 1886. The book of costumes is a muraqqaʻ, a type of picture album usually put together from several different sources. This type of album was popular among collectors. The manuscript contains 121 colorful miniature drawings of Turkish officials, people of various occupations, different ethnic groups, and so forth. The drawings are in India ink with gouache and some gilding. Most of the leaves have notes in Swedish, French, Italian, or Latin describing the miniature in question as well as notes made by Claes Rålamb himself. After the miniatures is one leaf with portrait drawings in six medallions. Four of the portraits are of Sasanian rulers, and one is probably of a Byzantine ruler (whose name has been erased, but it is likely that it shows Heraclius, who was the eastern Roman emperor when Islam emerged in Arabia). The remaining painting is that of 'Abd Manaf (an ancestor of the Prophet Muhammad).
- Rålamb, Claes, 1622-1698 Contributor.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1600 to 1699]
- - Turkey--Istanbul
- - 1600 to 1699
- - Clothing and dress
- - Ethnic costume
- - Ethnic groups
- - Government facilities
- - Kings and rulers
- - Ottoman Empire, 1288-1918
- - Sassanids
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Shelfmark: Rål. 8:o nr 10"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 137 leaves (136 plates) : paper ; 10 x 14 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Sweden.
- - Content in Persian and French and Italian and Latin and Swedish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Rålamb, Claes, Contributor. Rålamb Book of Costumes. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699, 1600] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668152/.
APA citation style:
Rålamb, C. (1600) Rålamb Book of Costumes. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668152/.
MLA citation style:
Rålamb, Claes, Contributor. Rålamb Book of Costumes. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1699, 1600] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668152/>.