Book/Printed Material Dialogues of Saint Gregory the Great. Fragment. Dialogi
About this Item
- Dialogues of Saint Gregory the Great. Fragment.
- This fragment containing a part of the Dialogues traditionally ascribed to Saint Gregory the Great (540--604; Pope Gregory I, 590--604) from the 11th century is considered to be the oldest artifact in the collection of medieval codex fragments kept in the literary archives in the Slovak National Library. Of unknown provenance and by an unknown scribe, the fragment is part of a manuscript that was used by and originally preserved in the milieu of the Bratislava Franciscans. The Dialogues and homilies of Saint Gregory were widely read in Europe in the Middle Ages. The first three books of the Dialogues recount the deeds of Italian saints, with the second book devoted entirely to Saint Benedict (circa 480--547), author of the famous Rule of Benedict for monks and founder of the abbey and monastery of Monte Cassino near Rome.
- Gregory I, Pope, circa 540-604 Creator.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1000 to 1099]
- - Italy--Lazio--Rome
- - Slovakia--Bratislavský kraj--Bratislava
- - 1000 to 1099
- - Benedict, Saint, Abbot of Monte Cassino
- - Biography
- - Catholic Church
- - Christian hagiography
- - Literature, Medieval
- - Saints
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 folio : parchment ; 30.4 x 21 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Slovak National Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gregory I, Pope, Circa 540-604 Creator. Dialogues of Saint Gregory the Great. Fragment. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1099, 1000] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668158/.
APA citation style:
Gregory I, P. (1000) Dialogues of Saint Gregory the Great. Fragment. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1099] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668158/.
MLA citation style:
Gregory I, Pope, Circa 540-604 Creator. Dialogues of Saint Gregory the Great. Fragment. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1099, 1000] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668158/>.