Book/Printed Material The Golden Legend Featuring Saint Prokop. Pasionál so stredovekými Prokopskými legendami
About this Item
- The Golden Legend Featuring Saint Prokop.
- Pasionál so stredovekými Prokopskými legendami
- This late 15th-century manuscript contains a Czech version of the Legenda aurea (The golden legend) by Jacobus de Voragine (circa 1229--circa 1298), along with an account of Saint Prokop or Procopius (circa 980--1053), the patron saint of Bohemia. The contents of the manuscript are identical to one held in the National Museum in Prague (sign. III. D. 44). In the 19th century this codex was owned by the Slovak Museums Society. The scribe who created the manuscript, Simon de Ducky, recorded his name and the date of its completion, 1495. Legenda aurea is a collection of legendary lives of the saints. De Voragine, a priest who became archbishop of Genoa and who was known for his piety and preaching throughout Lombardy, originally gave the work the title Legenda sanctorum, but it soon came to be known as The Golden Legend by readers who considered it worth its weight in gold. Prokop was a Czech priest and recluse who lived in a cave overlooking the Sázava River. He later became the first abbot of the Sázava Monastery, which was established by the Duke of Bohemia in 1032 and which used the Slavonic liturgy. Prokop was canonized in 1804.
- Ducky, Simon de, active 1495 Scribe.
- Jacobus, de Voragine, approximately 1229-1298 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1450 to 1500]
- - Czech Republic
- - Italy--Liguria--Genoa
- - 1229 to 1298
- - Catholic Church
- - Christian hagiography
- - Codex
- - Procopius, of Sázava, Saint, approximately 980-1053
- - Saints
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 265 folios : paper ; 30.5 x 20 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Slovak National Library.
- - Content in Czech and Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ducky, Simon De, Active 1495 Scribe, and De Voragine Jacobus. The Golden Legend Featuring Saint Prokop. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1500, 1450] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668163/.
APA citation style:
Ducky, S. D. & Jacobus, D. V. (1450) The Golden Legend Featuring Saint Prokop. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1500] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668163/.
MLA citation style:
Ducky, Simon De, Active 1495 Scribe, and De Voragine Jacobus. The Golden Legend Featuring Saint Prokop. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1500, 1450] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668163/>.