Book/Printed Material Serlio's "Eighth Book of Architecture". Ottavo libro d'architettura
About this Item
- Serlio's "Eighth Book of Architecture".
- Ottavo libro d'architettura
- Sebastiano Serlio (1475-1554) was born in Bologna and trained as a painter and architect in Rome and Venice. From 1541 he worked in France, at Fontainebleau and Lyons. Serlio's enduring importance lies in his theoretical writings on architecture, which represent an important source for Italian and French Renaissance architecture. Most of his planned eight Libri de architettura (Books of architecture) appeared in print during his lifetime. Two manuscripts remained unpublished, however, and as early as 1571 entered the newly founded library of Duke Albrecht V of Bavaria. Not until 1966 was one of them, the Sesto libro (Sixth book; Bavarian State Library, Cod. icon. 189) published in facsimile. The other codex, shown here, contains Serlio's sketches for his Ottavo libro (Eighth book), on the construction of fortifications, which derives from the description of a Roman camp in the universal history of the Greek historian Polybius. Most important is its inclusion of "Della castramentatione di Polibio ridutta in una citadella murata" (The reconstruction of a Roman military camp described by Polybius as a walled citadel, folio 1), the plan of which, taken from a military settlement surveyed in "Datia," (the Roman province of Dacia) had been procured for him by Marino Grimani, patriarch of Aquileia. Serlio sketched for it detailed plans and elevations of individual buildings, in accordance with his conceptions of classical architecture.
- Serlio, Sebastiano, 1475-1554? Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1551 to 1554]
- - Italy
- - 1551 to 1554
- - Arches
- - Architectural decorations and ornaments
- - Architectural drawings
- - Architectural elements
- - Architecture
- - Architecture, Classical
- - Columns
- - Designs and plans
- - Forts and fortifications
- - Military camps
- - Polybius
- - Rome
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "BSB shelfmark: Cod.icon. 190|This description of the work was written by Ulrich Montag of the Bavarian State Library."--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 45 folios : parchment and paper, illustrated ; 44.8-75.7 x 27.5-31.8 centimeters (parchment), 17.8-46 x 22-31.7 centimeters (paper).
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Italian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Serlio, Sebastiano, ? Author. Serlio's "Eighth Book of Architecture". [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1554, 1551] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668167/.
APA citation style:
Serlio, S. (1551) Serlio's "Eighth Book of Architecture". [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1554] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668167/.
MLA citation style:
Serlio, Sebastiano, ? Author. Serlio's "Eighth Book of Architecture". [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1554, 1551] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668167/>.