Book/Printed Material Book of Hours of Daniel Rym.
About this Item
- Book of Hours of Daniel Rym.
- This richly illuminated Book of Hours was created circa 1420-30 for Elizabeth van Munte and her husband Daniel Rym. The couple is represented throughout the manuscript in a number of ways. Rym's heraldic shield is held by an angel on folio 42 recto, while van Munte's heraldry is held by a dragon on folio 18 recto. Both are also depicted in donor portraits, with van Munte kneeling on folio 62 recto and Daniel Rym kneeling before his namesake, Saint Daniel, on folio 168 verso. Made for personal use, this exquisite Book of Hours begins each hour with a full-page miniature. Gold is widely used in the illumination, and drolleries throughout the book depict playful figures and hybrids engaging in a variety of activities, such as reading texts, kneeling in devotion, playing with or climbing the foliate fillet of the initials, or emerging from large flowers. Especially touching is a sweet couple embracing on the folio facing the Deposition and the Veronica (folio 118 recto). This devotional work is by the Master of Guillebert de Mets, an illuminator working in the Parisian style in Flanders in about 1410-45, whose moniker derives from illuminations by him in a manuscript signed by a scribe called Guillebert de Mets. The layout of his pages closely links the text, miniatures, and border decorations in a distinctive way. The text is written in black and brown ink in a textura script, with rubrics in red. Instructions to the rubricator are often in the side margins. Gold initials mark text divisions. The book has 13 extant full-page miniatures at the beginnings of each hour.
- Master of Guillebert de Mets, active 1410-1445 Creator.
Created / Published
- Flanders, Belgium : [publisher not identified], [1420 to 1430]
- - Belgium--Flanders
- - 1420 to 1430
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Books of hours
- - Breviaries
- - Codex
- - Illuminations
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Prayers
- - Psalms
- - Saints
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "Walters Ms. W.166"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 186 folios : parchment ; 13.3 x 16.7 centimeters.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: "Master of Guillebert de Mets," The J. Paul Getty Museum. http://www.getty.edu/art/collection/artists/1178/master-of-guillebert-de-mets-flemish-active-about-1410-1450/. External
- - Original resource at: Walters Art Museum.
- - Content in Latin and Dutch.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Illuminated Manuscripts from Europe
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Master Of Guillebert De Mets, Active Creator. Book of Hours of Daniel Rym. [Flanders, Belgium: publisher not identified, to 1430, 1420] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668187/.
APA citation style:
Master Of Guillebert De Mets, A. C. (1420) Book of Hours of Daniel Rym. [Flanders, Belgium: publisher not identified, to 1430] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668187/.
MLA citation style:
Master Of Guillebert De Mets, Active Creator. Book of Hours of Daniel Rym. [Flanders, Belgium: publisher not identified, to 1430, 1420] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668187/>.