Book/Printed Material Gospel Lectionary. Evangelia in missis celebrandis legenda, cum X tabulis et multis literis bene pictis
About this Item
- Gospel Lectionary.
- Evangelia in missis celebrandis legenda, cum X tabulis et multis literis bene pictis
- Although somewhat overshadowed by the imperial manuscripts, this small Gospel lectionary, a parchment manuscript of 192 leaves, represents the Reichenau Ottonian school of illumination on a similarly high artistic plane. It thus exemplifies the outstanding position of this Lake Constance monastery at the time of the Saxon emperors (919-1024). The original owner of the manuscript is unknown, as is the location from which the manuscript entered the Bavarian State Library during the secularization of the Bavarian monasteries in the early 1800s. At that time it must also have been stripped of its fine binding, of which only impressions and holes in the now-bare cover give evidence. The decoration is concentrated in ornamental initial pages and full-page miniatures, some of which introduce new pictorial themes into the Reichenau iconography. In addition to the Christological themes and the Pentecost image in the first half of the manuscript (the miniature for Easter is lost), other illuminations depict the annunciation to Zacharias (for the feast of John the Baptist), three parables of Jesus (for different Sundays after Whitsun), and the meeting of Jesus and Zacchaeus (for the kermis, or outdoor festival). A new feature in relation to older manuscripts is the relatively strong emphasis on the parables, which similarly gain significance in the somewhat later 11th-century Echternach illumination, from Echternach monastery in present-day Luxembourg.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1020.
- - Germany
- - 1020
- - Bible. New Testament
- - Illuminations
- - Lectionaries
- - Miniatures (Illuminations)
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - "This description of the work was written by Elisabeth Klemm.|BSB shelfmark: Clm 23338"--Note extracted from World Digital Library.
- - Original resource extent: 191 folios, parchment : Illuminated.
- - Original resource at: Bavarian State Library.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gospel Lectionary. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1020] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668221/.
APA citation style:
(1020) Gospel Lectionary. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668221/.
MLA citation style:
Gospel Lectionary. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1020] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668221/>.