Book/Printed Material Deeds of the Carolingian Kings of France and Their Predecessors.
About this Item
- Deeds of the Carolingian Kings of France and Their Predecessors.
- Presented here is a Latin manuscript from the 13th century, Latin 5926 in the collections of the National Library of France, which contains five separate texts relating to the history of France. The first is Gesta Regum Francorum (Deeds of the kings of France), also known as Liber historiae Francorum (The book of the history of the Franks), an anonymous eighth century chronicle covering from the origin of the Trojan people-from whom some chroniclers claimed descent for the Frankish kings-to King Pepin (died 768), father of Charlemagne. The work was later expanded and prefaced by the canons of the synod of Rome, convened by Pope Innocent II in 1138. Next comes an anonymous life of Charlemagne. The third text is the famous Vita Caroli Magni (Life of Charlemagne) by the Frankish historian and court scholar Einhard (circa 770-840), the most important source of information on Charlemagne (742-814) and the Carolingian Empire. The fourth text is a life of Louis the Pious (778--840), Holy Roman Emperor and son of Charlemagne, by an unknown author. Lastly is a part of the chronicle of the history of France, written by Adémar de Chabannes (989-1034), a monk at Saint-Cybard Abbey, Angoulême, and covering the period from Louis the Pious to the year 1029. The manuscripts thus all deal with the Carolingians, the Frankish family that superseded the Merovingians and ruled France and other parts of Western Europe from 750 to 887.
- Adémar, de Chabannes, 988-1034 Author.
- Einhard, approximately 770-840 Author.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1200 to 1299]
- - France
- - 1200 to 1299
- - Carolingians
- - Charlemagne, Emperor, 742-814
- - Chronicles
- - History
- - Kings and rulers
- - Louis I, Emperor, 778-840
- - Merovingians
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 141 folios, parchment.
- - Reference extracted from World Digital Library: Margaret T. Gibson, Janet Loughland Nelson, and David Ganz, editors, Charles the Bald: Court and Kingdom. Papers based on a colloquium held in London in April 1979. (Oxford, U.K.: B.A.R., 1981).
- - Original resource at: National Library of France.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Merovingian Manuscript Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Adémar, De Chabannes, 988-1034 Author, and Approximately 770-840 Author Einhard. Deeds of the Carolingian Kings of France and Their Predecessors. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1299, 1200] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668231/.
APA citation style:
Adémar, D. C. & Einhard, A. 7. A. (1200) Deeds of the Carolingian Kings of France and Their Predecessors. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1299] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668231/.
MLA citation style:
Adémar, De Chabannes, 988-1034 Author, and Approximately 770-840 Author Einhard. Deeds of the Carolingian Kings of France and Their Predecessors. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1299, 1200] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668231/>.