Book/Printed Material The Legal Codes of the Salian Franks, the Alamanni, and the Ripuarian Franks.
About this Item
- The Legal Codes of the Salian Franks, the Alamanni, and the Ripuarian Franks.
- The tenth-century manuscript on parchment presented here, Latin 4787 in the collections of the National Library of France, contains the texts of three important early medieval bodies of law: the Lex Salica, the Lex Alamannorum, and the Lex Ribuariorum. The Lex Salica, or Salic Law, is the legal code of the Salian Franks, written around the time of Clovis (ruled 481-511), the Merovingian king who united all of the Franks under his rule. The code deals mainly with monetary compensation for injuries and contains provisions relating to the inheritance of land and succession to the throne. The Lex Alamannorum is the body of laws of the Alamanni that was partially incorporated into the Salic Law after the Alamanni became subject to the Franks. The Lex Ribuariorum is the legal code adopted from the Ripuarian Franks after they too came under the authority of the Franks during the time of Clovis. The Franks were a Germanic people who invaded the western Roman Empire in the fifth century. They adopted Christianity and established the most important Christian kingdom of early medieval western Europe, comprising present-day France, Belgium, and the western part of Germany.
- Clovis, King of the Franks, approximately 466-511 Patron.
- Dagobert, King of the Franks, died 639 Associated Name.
- Lantfrid the German, Duke, 700-730 Associated Name.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [900 to 999]
- - France
- - 507 to 730
- - Civil law
- - Jurisprudence
- - Law, Medieval
- - Merovingians
- - Statutes and codes
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 3 works bound in 1 volume, parchment.
- - Original resource at: National Library of France.
- - Content in Latin.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Merovingian Manuscript Collection
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Clovis, King of the Franks, Approximately 466-511
- Dagobert, King of the Franks, Died 639
- Lantfrid the German, Duke, 700-730
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Clovis, King Of The Franks, Approximately 466-511 Patron, King Of The Franks Dagobert, and Duke Lantfrid The German. The Legal Codes of the Salian Franks, the Alamanni, and the Ripuarian Franks. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 900 to 999, 0900] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668237/.
APA citation style:
Clovis, K. O. T. F., Dagobert, K. O. T. F. & Lantfrid The German, D. (0900) The Legal Codes of the Salian Franks, the Alamanni, and the Ripuarian Franks. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 900 to 999] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668237/.
MLA citation style:
Clovis, King Of The Franks, Approximately 466-511 Patron, King Of The Franks Dagobert, and Duke Lantfrid The German. The Legal Codes of the Salian Franks, the Alamanni, and the Ripuarian Franks. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 900 to 999, 0900] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668237/>.