Map Map of the Lands Where the Sage-Emperor Yu Left His Traces.
About this Item
- Map of the Lands Where the Sage-Emperor Yu Left His Traces.
- This rubbing is of a Chinese map engraved in stone in the seventh year of the Fouchang era of the Qi state (1136). The stele survives in the Forest of Steles in Xi'an. The map is oriented with north at the top and south at the bottom. Over 500 place names are plotted on the map, which represents a panorama of China in Song times. The engraving of the hydraulic systems is especially detailed, with nearly 80 rivers named. The courses of the Yellow and Yangtze rivers are very close to the way they appear on present-day maps. The contour of the seacoast is also quite accurate. Among surviving maps engraved in stone, this map is the oldest and the earliest to have grid marks indicating scale. It is a prime example of the level of mapmaking in the Song dynasty, and occupies an important place in the history of Chinese cartography. In his Science and Civilisation in China, the British scholar Joseph Needham praised this work as the most outstanding map of its time.
Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 1136.
- - China
- - 1100 to 1279
- - Cartography
- - Inscriptions, Chinese
- - Song dynasty, 960-1279
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 1 sheet, 79 x 78 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Chinese Books, Manuscripts, Maps, and Prints
Library of Congress Control Number
- compressed data
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Map of the Lands Where the Sage-Emperor Yu Left His Traces. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1136] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668264/.
APA citation style:
(1136) Map of the Lands Where the Sage-Emperor Yu Left His Traces. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021668264/.
MLA citation style:
Map of the Lands Where the Sage-Emperor Yu Left His Traces. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 1136] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021668264/>.